Along with the pies, stuffing is a tough one for those of us intolerant to gluten, but fortunately with our stuffing recipe -- you won’t have to worry about gluten at all! This stuffing uses our gluten free Lilac Pâtisserie Rustic White Loaf, fresh granny smith apples, sage, thyme, parsley, and so much more that it’s bursting with flavor. And, don’t worry, your gluten-eating relatives won’t even notice the difference! This recipe has a long list of ingredients and takes a bit of time to prep, but trust us... it’s totally worth it.
We’re still taking Thanksgiving pre-orders for pick up on Wednesday, November 22nd. So, if you’d like to try out this recipe, make sure you call us at the bakery at 805.845.7400 to preorder a loaf of our Rustic White Bread. You can also order anything from our Thanksgiving menu online following this link. Don’t delay - we’re accepting pre-orders until Monday 11/20!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 loaf Lilac Rustic White bread
- 1-3/4 c chicken broth
- 1-1/2 c apple cider
- 1/2 c dry white cooking wine
- 16 oz bulk pork sausage (make sure it’s gluten free!)
- 8 Tbs unsalted butter, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1-1/2 Tbs minced fresh thyme
- 1-1/2 Tbs minced fresh sage
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 c minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 c chestnuts, jarred not sweetened, quartered
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Cut the crusts off the loaf of bread and cut into 1/2” cubes (there should be about 1-1/2 LBs of bread after trimming). Place bread cubes on a sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes, tossing halfway, until dark and toasted.
- In a small pot, melt 6 Tbs of the butter. Set aside.
- In a separate small pot, combine the chicken broth and apple cider and warm. Set aside.
- Sautée the sausage in a large pan until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Sautée the garlic, onions, and celery in 2 Tbs butter until translucent. Deglaze pan with wine and scrape brown bits from the pan.
- In a large bowl, toss all ingredients (except for melted butter) until combined, adding the liquids, eggs, and chestnuts last.
- Pour 3 Tbs of melted butter into a 9” x 13” baking dish and coat dish thoroughly with butter. Pour stuffing into the baking dish, gently patting down. Drizzle the remaining 3 Tbs butter on top of the stuffing. Bake in 450ºF oven for 30 minutes, rotating halfway. (You can also stuff turkey with the stuffing, but use 1/2 c less of the broth.)
Don't forget to order your Rustic White Loaf today!